August Author Spotlight: Jennifer Ellision


























Sixteen year-old Breena Perdit has spent her life as a barmaid, innocent to her father’s past and happily free from the Elemental gifts that would condemn her to a life in the Egrian King’s army. Until the day that three Elemental soldiers recognize her father as a traitor to the throne and Bree’s father is thrown in jail—along with the secrets from his last mission as the King’s assassin. Secrets that could help the King win a war. Secrets he refuses to share.

Desperate to escape before the King’s capricious whims prove her and her father’s downfall, Bree bargains with him: information for their lives. It’s a good trade. And she has faith she’ll get them both out of the King’s grasp with time.

But that was before the discovery that she’s the weapon the King’s been waiting for in his war.

Now, time is running out. To save her father’s life and understand her own, Bree must unravel the knot of her father’s past before the King takes his life– and uses her to bring a nation to its knees.




Jennifer's Threats of Sky and Sea was set apart by one of the strongest heroines I've ever come across in a YA series. It's one of the best books I've read this year and believe me when I tell you that it's my pleasure to feature her in the Spotlight this month. I couldn't be happier about it!



Please tell us a little about yourself and how you started writing.


I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember!

…Though in my early years, (think 7 or 8) my work consisted largely of very weird, Nancy Drew-esque stories starring my parents as Ned and Nancy.

After that, I honed my craft in high school with creative writing and yearbook classes, and Sailor Moon fanfiction. By the time I decided to declare a major in Creative Writing in college, I knew it was the only career path for me!


What (or who) inspires you the most?


Such a loaded question! Hearing about other authors’ processes and reading amazing books definitely inspires me. I’d also say that some of the things that inspired me as a teen continue to inspire me today. Things like Sailor Moon, Harry Potter, and works by Tamora Pierce that have young people defying the odds, wrapping magic around war, blending humor and romance with plot— all of these had a very big impact on me in their formative years.


How would you describe your books?


The work I have out right now, I’d describe as Young Adult high fantasy, with elemental magic. Of my work in general (which spans more genres than fantasy,) my books tend to have at least a small romantic element, and I love to focus on awesome ladies being awesome.

Also, sarcasm. My characters are liberal with sarcasm.


What are you reading right now?


I’m reading The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson! I really enjoyed Pearson’s YA sci-fi trilogy The Jenna Fox Chronicles; she has a lovely way with words. The Kiss of Deception is another YA fantasy (like Threats of Sky and Sea) and I’m enjoying it so far!

________________






Available on Amazon now!

Comments

Popular Posts